Thursday 19 August 2010

Dorian Gray - no. 44

Barnes and Noble Classics (2003)

Price: a gift from Friend 2; back indicates it was $4.95

History: Friend 2 returned from America with three rather lovely presents for me. This is my favourite of the three.

Look: I've ogled this one on the web before, but I've always felt that ordering them over the internet is a very slippery slope. I've always hated collectors to whom completeness is more important than the things themselves, and the chase is part of the fun. A lovely red cover, and a very intriguing painting. I don't technically like young men on the covers of these books, but this is one of my many exceptions. The painting has such a strange expression - I love how wooden he seems.

Introductions/appendices: Lovely! A two page biography, a four page timeline, and a lovely lengthy introduction. No time to discuss it now, but I remember enjoying it.

But it's after the endnotes that get interesting. "Inspired by" lists other media inspired by Oscar Wilde's life, Dorian Gray films and operas, and sequels to the book. I enjoyed having my mind tickled by six "Questions" for a book club or school group. I particularly enjoyed "is sin ugly or beautiful?". There are some comments on the novel from Wilde himself, Alfred Douglas and James Joyce. And a tasty further reading section.

This copy is notable for providing me with a formidable to-devour list. While not necessarily useful to the idle reader, I'm always glad for new related material!
  • Lowell Liebermann's Dorian Gray opera. I hope there is a recording...
  • The 1997 Dorian sequel in which our hero becomes a master of the dark arts. I unexpectedly enjoyed Will Self's updated take, so am willing to take a chance at Jeremy Reed's.
  • Two possible precursours to Dorian:
  • Ashes of the Future (A Study of Mere Human Nature): The Suicide of Sylvester Gray. Fantastically awful title, proving frustratingly obscure to find.
  • Vivian Gray
  • Mercifully, is on Project Gutenburg. Looking forward to reading this!
Captured: ?-8-10

No comments: