Monday 4 January 2010

Dorian Gray - no. 43

Naxos audiobooks - Martin Sheen

Price: a gift from my aunt. As they are tapes, I guess they might have been second hand - no sign of a price tag

History: Do you remember me saying that New Zealand is the home of gorgeous books? Some of my best Dorians have originated from there, and it's nice to see that contiue with a surprise New Year gift through the mail.

Look: The first casette box has one of those oldy worldy images of a young man gracing the cover. I wonder what the sitters for these portraits would have thought of ultimately being associated with such a tarnished figure? It's quite a nice one, though not really Dorianesque. The second box has an image of Oscar Wilde in "the Aesthetic Period".

I was actually pretty comfortable listening to the other audiobook I own (read by Martin Shaw). Sure, the voices were strange, and sure they chopped bits out all over the shop (not that anyone but a nutjob obsessive would notice...), but I know it so well that the words lapse into lullaby rhythms in the background. It's rather soothing. So I will be giving this one a shot

Introductions/appendices: not really. There's a biography of reader Michael Sheen

Captured: 4-1-10

No comments: