Sunday 14 December 2008

Dorian Gray - no.20

Penguin Popular Classics 1994

Price: £2. Miser that I am, there is a point where great novels can be insultingly cheap...

History: The same school English trip, bookshop on the Southbank. It was one of those occasions when reading put a strain on my survival - it came to a crunch in a particularly good bookshop, where it was either the Yes script, an Einaudi music book, the Lays of Belariad, Manga Hamlet and This, or dinner later that evening. On account of the shamefully low price, I finally settled for this and a very cheap pizza...

Look: I first encountered this series of green books in Dublin. Having spent the week chasing after Oscar Wilde's house, museum, school and statue, I desperately wanted to leave with an Irish copy of the novel. No such luck - they seemed to have every other classic in a green copy, but not mine. Luckily, I did later find one in London, so all's well. The white text is very attractive, and the cover is genuinely my favourite colour. Inside, the pages are very thin, but it is a nice book to hold.

Introduction/Appendices: Just a page-long bio.

No comments: