Sunday 14 December 2008

Dorian Gray - no. 30

Classici Mondadori 1990

Price: €8.40

History: Found it in Italy, summer 2008

Look: the Italians have apparently not lost their appreciation of gorgeous books. Foreign bookshops are always a torment, but this was worse than usual because all the editions were lovely. On a different note, I would love the red dressing gown being worn by the man on the cover.
Introduction/appendices: In Italian, alas - by Masolino d'Amico. But the real tragedy is that includes Andre Gide's memoram letter from 1901. I've wanted to read this for a long time - but I've a nasty feeling the original was in French. Italian is actually one step down - I know nothing of that language except what Latin can do, while my French is competant enough for reading.

No comments: