Thursday 15 January 2009

Dorian Gray - no. 38

Oxford World Classics, 2008

Price: well, it says £4.99 on the back cover - but technically I got it free, as part of a "Buy one get one" offer. And I paid £8.99 for the Aeneid I got it free with. Where does that leave me?
History
It's been a while. Long, long while. Folks, I think this is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen - and I've been putting it off because of it. But when I saw a way to get it free, well, I could find no more excuses. That foul picture they have on the front was on the previous Oxford World Classics edition, which I hated and haven't got - but now it's stopped appearing in shops, I feel rather guilty that I might have "lost" one. Anyway, you heard it here first folks: yuck, yuck, yuck!
Look See above...
Introduction/appendices the worst bit is there's barely anything here. The back advertises that it contains "Wilde's revised and expanded text" (what, like all of them?) and "Wilde's provocotive preface" as if not every other copy in my collection has both those things. I am not expecting much of the introduction.
Captured 13-01-09

No comments: